The ‘fiscal’ goal posts will be moving
In the coming months we will start to see how our new government intends to change the UK tax rules to further its economic growth agenda. Whatever they decide to do, readers who presently benefit from tax and/or business planning strategies, should be prepared to revise their plans as fiscal changes are announced. For example, if you Read more...

Your stake in your business
Ever wondered how your stake in your business is represented in your accounts? The answer can be found at the bottom of your balance sheet. Simply put it is the value of your physical business assets less any liabilities; usually described as net assets. But this is not the full story as there is a further intangible asset that is Read more...

When you cannot use the Property or Trading Allowances
Two separate £1,000 tax allowances for property and trading income were introduced in April 2017. If you have both types of income highlighted below, then you can claim a £1,000 allowance for each. The £1,000 exemptions from tax apply to: If you make up to £1,000 from self-employment, casual services (such as babysitting or gardening) Read more...

The NIC Employment Allowance
The Employment Allowance benefits eligible employers by reducing their National Insurance liability. The current allowance is £5,000. An employer can claim less than the maximum if this covers their total Class 1 NIC bill. The allowance is only available to employers that have employer NIC liabilities of under £100,000 in the previous Read more...

Child benefit for 16 to 19 year olds
The child benefit rates for the only or eldest child in a family is currently £25.60 and the weekly rate for all other children is £16.95. Taxpayers entitled to the child benefit should be aware that HMRC usually stop paying child benefit on the 31 August following a child’s 16th Birthday. Under qualifying circumstances, the child Read more...

Gains on sale of shares
Capital Gains Tax (CGT) is normally charged at a simple flat rate of 20% (but see comments below) when you sell shares unless they are in a CGT free investment such as an ISA or qualifying pension. Your gain is usually the difference between what you paid for your shares and the amount received when you sold them. There are special rules Read more...

Taxable and non-taxable State Benefits
Whilst there are a large number of state benefits available, it is not clear which of these benefits are taxable and which are tax-free. HMRC’s guidance provides the following list of the most common state benefits that are taxable, i.e., Income Tax is payable, subject to the usual limits: Bereavement Allowance (previously Widow’s Read more...

Ordering documents from Companies House
Companies House offers interested parties the ability to order certified copies of certificates and documents held on the Companies House register. You can order: a company certificate with certified facts; or a certified copy of a document held on the register. You can place an order by: using the Find and update company Read more...

Responding to a personal data breach
The Information Commissioner’s Office has a simple guide that explains what you need to do in the 72 hours following a data breach. The seven step approach advocated is set out below: Step one: Don’t panic It’s understandable if you’re concerned about what happens next. But we’re here to help you understand what happened and to Read more...

The new Chancellor’s first speech
The Chancellor has promised to take immediate action to fix the foundations of the economy, rebuild Britain and make every part of the country​ better off. In her first speech as Chancellor, Rachel Reeves pledged to leaders of some of the UK’s pioneering industries to build growth on strong and secure foundations built on stability, Read more...

Contact Us

57 Windmill Street



DA12 1BB

Phone: 01474 328882




 2 Badge AdvancedOnline large Trans

Newsfeed Search

Follow Us